Monday, April 19, 2010

Bet you Didn't know... I could SEW!!

Well Neither did I! Thats right, I have never in my life sat down at a sewing machine but, while "blog stalking" the other day I saw an amazing post on round table coverings and said to myself...

"self, you can do that!"

I had never even thought about covering my tables because they were bought to be displayed... They were bought as a set ... they were bought for a lot of money... they were bought because the glass top was so beautiful... then I had a baby.. and that baby became a toddler... and I got tired of cleaning glass!!! Now, I dont want to put all the blame on sweet Brady... On one table sits a PS3 and all the georgous cords that go with it and under the other we are housing a subwoofer, and an extension cord with plugs for the laptop, the lamp, the subwoofer, etc... CORDS CORDS CORDS!


HaHaHa.. Don't you just Love my Beauty School Glamour Shot?!?!




You think this would have bothered me before now but for some reason I have never thought about covering it up... until I saw what It could look like...

On Friday Night I read the blog and on Saturday morning I was at hobby Lobby buying fabric... something I had NEVER done before! I go to Hobby Lobby weekly and have never stepped foot in the fabric section.. but on Saturday, I did. Well, we did.. Thats right, the very first time I went to match and buy fabrics I took my 18 month old son! CRAZY, I know (now)! So it was a quick trip... I got the fabric, some straight pens, a pen cushion, and a measuring tape ribbon... I am starting from scratch here...

Then off to my Mother-in-Law's to borrow her never been used, fresh out of the box, Singer Sewing Machine.  Thats right, I got to break this thing in... ME, a completely unexperienced sewer! Good thing she trust me :)

So with fabric, accessories, and sewing machine in hand, off to the house I go...I laid Brady down for a nap then crack that sewing machine open and read the instruction book cover to cover.. I learned what every part of that machine did and where it was and why it was there... I had no idea! Next thing you know I was on the floor cutting fabric! By 3am that morning I was done with the first table! HAHA.. but hey, a flood starts with a rain drop .. because last night I finished up the second one!


By no means are these tableclothes perfect! They would have been darn close though if I was any good at math! I got my measurments wrong by 10"so that was fun... I just got some scrap fabric and made up the difference.. the patters goes every direction but Who Cares??? It dosen't have to be perfect to be beautiful, Right?





Not too bad for my first time, huh?? Not too Shabby at all...I mean, I'm pretty much a Seamstress now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks awesome!