Saturday, March 20, 2010

The era of a NEW Queen!

Everyone has different dreams and goals for their lives... One goal I always wanted to achieve ( and still plan on reaching one day) was to become a Sweet Potato Queen! Laugh all you want, but I absolutely LOVE them.. Love the way they look, the way they act, their "I dont care what you think of me" attitude... The way they think that the bigger your hair is, the smaller your butt looks....all of it!
Around my area, Jackson, MS, the Sweet Potato Queens are a big deal when it comes time for the Saint Patrick's Day Parade... they have their " Million Queen March" in the parade... there are thousands of groups of women from all over the USA that come dressed as tacky as they can to walk in the parade and party all weeken! I alway thought that was so fun! So a few years back, I decided to get all decked out in my own Queen attire and start my own "wannabe" group...


Seriously! I attended the parade in this "get up" that I bought from the Goodwill for 4 dollars and dressed up with sequins and tassles...Fish net panty hose... and lepord print arm legnth gloves (not shown)

Funny thing is, Believe it or not, I didnt get looked at any different, laughed at, nada.. for at this parade, this is normal... How Fabulous is that!

Fast Forward 4 or 5 years (can't rember exactly)...

Today was the St.Patrick's Day Parade in Jackson... Thousands of people flocked downtown for a day full of fun, drinking, loud music, good friends, and , of cours, The Queens! I used to be one of those thousands, and one day, I probally will be again..

 but this year I had a very special lunch date with my baby...

We went to Chedder's... Just me and him.

He devoured a bowl (a rather LARGE bowl of pasta)


Then, only after he was done, was I permitted to eat my, then cold, chicken tender basket...

It was still good ~
I was just wanting something Fried! It has been too long since I've had a good Fried meal... ya know, trying to diet and all...

He played with my keys to occupy the time ... while I was eating, The Nerve of me!!!



And on this day, I didn't care that I missed the Parade. The last thing on my mind was putting on fish-nets and that hot wig and walking in heels through downtown Jackson. Dont get me wrong, It is a load of fun, if that's your thing, but this year, it was not my thing...

My thing was sitting at the end of the table in a high chair with spagetti sauce all over his face screaming "BYE" to everyone that walked by us.

Its funny how your goals and dreams change when you become a mommy.  Because now, I dream about him. What he could be, what he will be... I dream about being the best mommy I can be for him.  I still have goals of my own, dont get me wrong, but they are just a little different. And just because I am not working toward my goal of becoming a Sweet Potato Queen right now,  dosen't mean that I won't one day..

 after all, I have all of his High School years to embarass him :)

1 comment:

Anna said...

Love this....how true.

P.S. Eric can't wait to embarrass our girls! :)